Kakadu Bird Week
Kakadu is a bird lover’s paradise – home to more than a third of Australia’s bird species.
Join traditional owners, Parks Australia and local birding specialists to celebrate the Top End’s diverse birdlife during Kakadu Bird Week from 29 September to 7 October 2018.
Here’s your chance to join free birdwatching activities, learn from Top End researchers and traditional owners, and enjoy expert-guided bird tours, cruises, art activities and more.
Join us for an extraordinary week of bird-filled events, including a special focus on the beautiful but elusive Alligator Rivers yellow chat. One of many Australian birds facing extinction, the yellow chat makes its home in the spectacular surrounds of Kakadu National Park and is a target of BirdLife Australia’s new Preventing Extinctions program.
Here’s a sneak preview of what to expect at Bird Week 2018:
- Amanda Lilleyman from Charles Darwin University talks about strategic planning for the far eastern curlew Threatened Species Recovery Hub
- Robin Leppitt, yellow chat researcher, Charles Darwin University,
- Birdwatching tours with expert local guide Luke Paterson from NT Bird Specialists
- Will Riddell, President of Birdlife Australia Raptor Group
- Aboriginal language teachers and authors from the Bininj Kunwok Language Project
- Aboriginal bird artists
- Sunset birdwatching cruises
- Community birdwatching walks and talks
- Kids ‘Bird World’ activities
- Fundraising movie night
- And much more…
Sign up to the Bird Week mailing list to get the full program as soon as it’s released. You’ll also be the first to hear about accomodation and meal discounts and special Bird Week itineraries with local guides.
Don't miss out
Be the first to know about Bird Week events and discounts.
Flock to it!
Get the inside word on Bird Week events, discounts and more.
Enter your email address below and click "subscribe".