Fisheries assistance and user engagement package
A $35 million package to assist industries and communities transition to the new Australian Marine Park management arrangements.
The Package includes:
- Fishing Business Assistance: direct assistance to affected commercial fishers with a recent history of fishing in Australian Marine Parks as they transition their businesses to the new operating environment
- Our Marine Parks Grants: grants to help marine users and industries engage in marine park management
- support to encourage uptake of vessel monitoring systems.
Fishing Business Assistance
Fishing Business Assistance provides direct assistance to affected commercial fishers with a recent history of fishing in Australian Marine Parks as they transition their businesses to the new operating environment.
In August 2018, the Director of National Parks released a Position Paper that set out information on the proposed Fishing Business Assistance program.
Following consultation with peak commercial fishing industry bodies, the Director of National Parks amended the program to more effectively meet industry needs. These changes, and responses to issues raised by industry, are set out in the Fishing Business Assistance Grants – Consultation Report.
The Fishing Business Assistance Program is now open.
Our Marine Parks Grants
Applications for the first round of the Australian Government’s Our Marine Parks Grants Program are now closed and are currently being assessed.
- The first round, totalling $5 million, was focused towards the fishing sector to further improve long-term sustainable fishing and conservation outcomes for Australian Marine Parks.
- Eligible organisations could apply for grants between $50,000 and $1,000,000 (GST exclusive).
- Fifteen organisations which represent the fishing sector at both the national and regional scale were invited to apply for funding under the program and to submit project proposals that best meets the needs of their members.
Applicants will be advised when the round has been finalised.
A second round of the Our Marine Parks Grants Program is expected to open in the second half of 2019, and will be available to a wider range of marine park user groups, to assist marine industries and marine park users become more involved in marine park management.
To find out more about the grants visit the Community Grants Hub.
Stay in touch
Subscribe to receive important updates about your marine parks. Enter your email address and click "join now".