Fisheries assistance and user engagement package
A $35 million package to assist industries and communities transition to the new Australian Marine Park management arrangements.
The Package includes:
- Fishing Business Assistance: direct assistance to affected commercial fishers with a recent history of fishing in Australian Marine Parks as they transition their businesses to the new operating environment
- Our Marine Parks Grants: grants to help marine users and industries engage in marine park management
- support to encourage uptake of vessel monitoring systems.
Fishing Business Assistance
Fishing Business Assistance provides direct assistance to affected commercial fishers with a recent history of fishing in Australian Marine Parks as they transition their businesses to the new operating environment.
In August 2018, the Director of National Parks released a Position Paper that set out information on the proposed Fishing Business Assistance program.
Following consultation with peak commercial fishing industry bodies, the Director of National Parks amended the program to more effectively meet industry needs. These changes, and responses to issues raised by industry, are set out in the Fishing Business Assistance Grants – Consultation Report.
The Fishing Business Assistance grants program was open from 20 March to 7 May 2019. Eligibility for the program was determined in accordance with the Grant Opportunity Guidelines.
The Fishing Business Assistance Program is now closed.
Our Marine Parks Grants
Twelve projects worth $5 million have been selected for funding under the first round of the Australian Government’s Our Marine Parks Grants Program. The grants are to be delivered through fishing industry peak organisations around Australia and will improve the long-term sustainability of fishing in ways that support the objectives of Australian Marine Parks.
The successful grant recipients are:
- Australian Recreational Fishing Foundation
- Great Australian Bight Fishing Industry Association
- Northern Prawn Fishery Industry
- Northern Territory Seafood Council
- Professional Fishermen’s Association
- Seafood Industry Australia
- Tuna Australia
- Western Australian Fishing Industry Council.
A second round of the Our Marine Parks Grants Program is planned for the second half of 2019, and will be available to a wider range of marine park user groups, to assist marine industries and marine park users become more involved in marine park management.
Stay in touch
Subscribe to receive important updates about your marine parks. Enter your email address and click "join now".