Chairs discuss the Review on camera
The independent Commonwealth Marine Reserves Review Reports were provided to the Australian Government by Professor Colin Buxton and Mr Peter Cochrane, who chaired the Bioregional Advisory Panel, and Associate Professor Bob Beeton, who chaired the Expert Scientific Panel.
The importance of consultation
The chairs made themselves available to be interviewed by former Sydney Morning Herald journalist Margot Date about their reports. In these videos they discuss the consultation that informed the reports and the reasons for the recommendations they made.
Please click the link below to see more videos.
Recreational and charter fishing
Oil and gas exploration
Bioregional Advisory Panel Report
Individual maps contained in the Bioregional Advisory Panel Report are available in high resolution below.
Expert Scientific Panel Report
Maps and data
The maps and data provided should be considered in conjunction with the details contained in the Commonwealth Marine Reserves Review Report of the Bioregional Advisory Panel.
Spatial data sources
The following spatial data has been used in preparing the maps.
• Beaman, R.J., 2010. Project 3DGBR: A high-resolution depth model for the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Marine and Tropical Sciences Research Facility (MTSRF) Project 2.5i.1a Final Report, MTSRF, Cairns, Australia, pp. 13 plus Appendix 1.
• CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research (2009): Predicted seabed assemblage patterns of marine fauna for the East, North, North-west and South-west Marine Regions
• Department of the Environment (2006): Integrated Marine and Coastal Regionalisation of Australia (IMCRA) v4.0
• Department of the Environment (2011): Bathomes in Australian waters
• Department of the Environment (2014): Australia's Network of Commonwealth Marine Reserves
• Department of the Environment (2014): Collaborative Australian Protected Areas Database
• Department of the Environment (2014): Marine Key Ecological Features
• Department of the Environment (2015): World Heritage Areas: Australia
• ESRI Australia Pty Ltd (1992): ARCWORLD World Dataset 1:3 million
• Geoscience Australia (2003): GEODATA TOPO 2.5M
• Geoscience Australia (2004): GEODATA TOPO 100k—Coastline
• Geoscience Australia (2004): Geomorphic Features of Australia's Exclusive Economic Zone
• Geoscience Australia (2005): Australian Bathymetry and Topography
• Geoscience Australia (2006): GEODATA TOPO 250k
• Geoscience Australia (2014): Australian Maritime Boundaries (AMB) v3.0
ABARES commercial fishing displacement analysis
This ABARES report provides an assessment of the Panel's final recommended internal zoning and permitted activities ('the Panel-recommended network'), with comparisons made to the network proclaimed in November 2012 ('the proclaimed network').