Email marketing and park pass communications
The Director of National Parks (Director) uses MailChimp to provide electronic newsletters to subscribers and to issue and manage park passes through its ecommerce system.
In the future, the Director may use in addition to, or instead of MailChimp (Intuit), a different provider (Alternative Platform) to provide electronic newsletters to subscribers and to issue and manage park passes.
The personal information that you provide will be used by the Director to issue you with a park pass, using its ecommerce system. If you do not provide all requisite information, or the information provided is not accurate, your park pass may not be valid. The Director may use your personal information to contact you regarding your park pass.
Disclosure of your personal information
When you subscribe to electronic newsletters or use the Director’s ecommerce system to purchase a park pass, the personal information you provide will be collected by the Director, MailChimp (Intuit) and/or an Alternative Platform.
Your personal information may be disclosed to other Commonwealth (and in some circumstances, state and territory) government departments and agencies where it is required or authorised by law or where it is reasonably necessary for law enforcement.
MailChimp (Intuit) and/or an Alternative Platform will use the personal information collected from you, including the email address you provided and information relating to that email address, for the purpose of hosting the online platform that enables the Director to create, send, and manage electronic newsletters, as well as issue, manage and communicate with you about your park pass. MailChimp (Intuit) and/or an Alternative Platform may also use this information to measure the performance of the Director’s email campaigns.
- when you access the electronic newsletters
- your browser type and version
- your operating system and other similar information.
An Alternative Platform may tracking technologies such as cookies and web forms to collect similar information to that described above.
MailChimp (Intuit) and an Alternative Platform may further transfer your personal information to their contractors or other third parties to process your personal information on their behalf, or where otherwise required to do so by law.
MailChimp (Intuit) is based in the United States of America (USA) and are subject to the laws of the USA. Your personal information (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by MailChimp (Intuit) on servers located outside Australia.
An Alternative Platform may also be both based outside of Australia and not subject to Australian laws. If the Alternative Platform is based outside of Australia, your personal information (including your IP address) may be transmitted to and stored on servers located outside Australia.
By signing up to receive electronic newsletters and/or when you purchase a park pass from the Director through its eCommerce system, you:
- consent to your personal information being sent and stored outside of Australia;
- acknowledge that Australian Privacy Principle 8.1 contained in Schedule 1 to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) will not apply to the use of your personal information by SendGrid and/or an Alternative Platform;
- acknowledge that MailChimp may not be subject to the Privacy Act and you might not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act for any privacy breaches by MailChimp. Instead, you would need to seek redress under the laws of the USA or another country or jurisdiction which apply to MailChimp (if redress is available); and
- acknowledge that an Alternative Platform may not be subject to the Privacy Act and you might not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act for any privacy breaches by the Alternative Platform. Instead, you would need to seek redress under the laws of another country or jurisdiction which apply to the Alternative Platform (if redress is available).
You can unsubscribe from the Director’s electronic newsletters at any time by selecting the “unsubscribe” option in every marketing email sent to you by MailChimp and/or an Alternative Platform.