The Director of National Parks (the Director) uses MailChimp to provide electronic newsletters to subscribers.
When you subscribe to electronic newsletters, the personal information you provide will be collected by both the Director and MailChimp.
In distributing newsletters, MailChimp will use personal information from you, including the email address you provided for the purpose of receiving electronic newsletters, and information relating to that email address.
- when you access the electronic newsletters
- your browser type and version
- your operating system and other similar information.
MailChimp will use the personal information collected from you for the purpose of hosting the online platform that enables the Director to create, send, and manage electronic newsletters. MailChimp will also use this information to measure the performance of the Director’s email campaigns.
MailChimp may transfer this information to its contractors or other third parties who process the information on MailChimp’s behalf, or where otherwise required to do so by law.
MailChimp is based in the United States of America (USA) and is subject to the laws of the USA. Your information (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by MailChimp on servers located outside Australia.
By signing up to receive electronic newsletters from the Director, you:
- consent to your personal information being sent and stored overseas, and acknowledge Australian Privacy Principle 8.1 contained in Schedule 1 to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) will not apply to the use of the information
- acknowledge that MailChimp is not subject to the Privacy Act and you will not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act for any privacy breaches by MailChimp, but would need to seek redress under the laws of the USA.
You can unsubscribe from the Director’s electronic newsletters at any time by selecting the “unsubscribe” option in every email sent to you by MailChimp.