Follow these simple rules during your stay to show respect for Christmas Island’s diverse religions and cultures.
- Dress modestly when visiting the Kampong area, where many Muslim people live. You might like to carry a wrap or sarong to cover bathing suits, bare arms or revealing clothing.
- Swimwear is perfectly acceptable on the beach, but public nudity is not allowed anywhere on Christmas Island.
- You are welcome to visit the island’s Chinese temples and take photos if you like. However, please remember that these are places of worship and show respect at all times.
- Take off your shoes before entering a temple, mosque or somebody’s home.
- Muslims use their right hand for eating, giving and receiving. Our Muslim residents will appreciate you doing the same when interacting with them.
- Avoid touching another person on the head.