Management Plan 2022 – 2032
Have your say about the future of the Australian National Botanic Gardens
The Australian National Botanic Gardens is commencing the preparation of a new management plan. The plan will set the direction for the future of the Gardens and guide its management from 2022 – 2032.
The Have Your Say period will run for 30 days from 1 February 2021 until 3 March 2021. This is your chance to contribute your ideas and express issues that you would like to see addressed in the next management plan.
Some questions to consider:
- What do you consider are important priorities and issues for the Gardens over the next 10 years?
- What are the key values of the Gardens you want to see preserved into the future?
- Are there areas you would like to see more focus on such as the living collection and botanical databases, science and research, education, tourism and future developments?
- Your feedback plays a vital role in helping to plan for the future of the Australian National Botanic Gardens.
For reference please see the current 2012–2022 Management Plan.
An audit of the current Management Plan is available to inform the preparation of the new Management Plan.
Next Steps for the Management Plan
The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act (1999) requires the Director of National Parks to prepare a management plan for the Australian National Botanic Gardens. This process is undertaken every 10 years. The steps to prepare the new management plan include:
- The Director of National Parks publishes an invitation to comment on the proposal to draft a new plan. This is the Have Your Say period.
- The Director prepares a draft plan, taking into account all comments from the public.
- The Director publishes a draft plan and an invitation to comment on the plan.
- The Director considers all comments and may alter the plan.
- The plan goes through an approval process, including submission of the plan to the Minister for the Environment and it is tabled in Parliament.
How to provide your comments
Please send your comments in writing by close of business 3 March 2021 to:
- Email: ANBGManagementPlan@environment.gov.au
- Or post:
ANBG Management Plan
GPO Box 1777
Canberra, ACT 2601
Comments received after 3 March 2021 may not be considered in preparing the draft plan so please ensure your comments are received before this date.