South Alligator River
A premier Kakadu fishing spot – or just a wonderful place to get out on the water and cruise the river.
You’ll find great barramundi here from February to November, or throw your line in during the run-off season (February to April), when the barra are most plentiful.
With the right safety gear and a big enough boat, super-size your satisfaction and take the long trip to the river mouth. Perfect for anyone looking for an outback adventure or wanting to get away from it all.
Tip: Watch for the mud banks and sandbars that stick out into the river – you don’t want to get stranded at low tide.
Be Crocwise: Fishing and boating
- Ensure you observe all safety signs, and be aware that whenever you are near water in the park, there is a risk of crocs!
- Do not enter the water when fishing.
- Never lean over the edge of a boat, out on a tree limb or enter the water to retrieve snagged lures.
- When fishing from the bank fish five metres from the water’s edge.
- Saltwater crocodiles can attack people in boats, the smaller the boat the greater the risk.
- All non-powered vessels are prohibited in Kakadu…