West Alligator Head
A true fisho’s dream, West Alligator Head is a remote coastal fishing spot on the north shore of Kakadu, great for catching barra, salmon, golden snapper and more.
Gaze out on the sparkling Van Diemen Gulf as you fish off the rocks or off the beach for barramundi and salmon.
There’s a beach boat ramp off Pococks Beach for those keen on reef fishing, but please note that the tidal flats are up to 1.5 kms off shore – try for golden snapper, black jewfish and other pelagic species.
There are camping areas with basic facilities (bush toilets and a cold shower).
About 80 km by dirt road from the Arnhem Highway.
Don’t delay in ticking this jewel off your fishing bucket list!
See it: late July to October
Be Crocwise: Fishing and boating
- Ensure you observe all safety signs, and be aware that whenever you are near water in the park, there is a risk of crocs!
- Do not enter the water when fishing.
- Never lean over the edge of a boat, out on a tree limb or enter the water to retrieve snagged lures.
- When fishing from the bank fish five metres from the water’s edge.
- Saltwater crocodiles can attack people in boats, the smaller the boat the greater the risk.
- All non-powered vessels are prohibited in Kakadu.
Get travel advice from the experts
Take the worry out of trip planning with expert tips from Kakadu rangers.
- 4WD essential
- Boat ramp
Aurora South Alligator
Amenities at hub
- Park passes
- General store
Take the first step
A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single click.
Enter your email to get free trip planning advice from Kakadu rangers.