Mardugal Billabong Walk
A short, shady loop around picture-perfect Mardugal Billabong.
This relaxing walk takes you to a beautiful picnic spot overlooking the water. The billabong is lined with andjimjim(water pandanus), towering silver-leaved paperbarks and shady syzygiums.
Take a fishing rod and fish from the high bank at the end of the walk, but if you get a snag say goodbye to your lure – large saltwater crocs live in this billabong so stay out of the water. They rarely show themselves but they are there – don’t go down the bank to the water’s edge!
Be Crocwise: Fishing and boating
- Ensure you observe all safety signs, and be aware that whenever you are near water in the park, there is a risk of crocs!
- Do not enter the water when fishing.
- Never lean over the edge of a boat, out on a tree limb or enter the water to retrieve snagged lures.
- When fishing from the bank fish five metres from the water’s edge.
- Saltwater crocodiles can attack people in boats, the smaller the boat the greater the risk.
- All non-powered vessels are prohibited in Kakadu…