Alligator Billabong campground
A popular billabong with local fishers and those who prefer a more secluded bush camping experience.
The turn off to Alligator Billabong (Gurdurunguranjdju) is 2 km from Aurora Kakadu Resort where a 22 km 4WD track takes you through savanna woodlands to the billabong.
There are no facilities or defined camping areas and most visitors find a shaded area to set up camp.
There are no formed boat ramps but there is one boat launching opportunity.
Be Crocwise: Fishing and boating
- Ensure you observe all safety signs, and be aware that whenever you are near water in the park, there is a risk of crocs!
- Do not enter the water when fishing.
- Never lean over the edge of a boat, out on a tree limb or enter the water to retrieve snagged lures.
- When fishing from the bank fish five metres from the water’s edge.
- Saltwater crocodiles can attack people in boats, the smaller the boat the greater the risk.
- All non-powered vessels are prohibited in Kakadu.
This area is not recommended for rooftop tinnies.
Get travel advice from the experts
Take the worry out of trip planning with expert tips from Kakadu rangers.
- 4WD essential
Type of camping
- Camper trailers
- No caravans
- No drinking water
- No toilets
- No showers
- No rubbish bins
- No power
- No generators permitted
- Alcohol permitted
- No picnic area
- Fire pit
- Boat ramp
- No swimming pool
Amenities at hub
- Park passes
- General store
Take the first step
A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single click.
Enter your email to get free trip planning advice from Kakadu rangers.