Escape to an idyllic fishing retreat in a secluded part of Kakadu.
This wetlands fishing spot is around 30 km off the Arnhem Highway, beyond Red Lily and Bucket Billabongs. It is also accessible from the Old Darwin Road. There are two billabong areas which are split by a creek crossing early in the year.
Throw a line in, or just take to the water for a magical ride listening to the water lap against the hull – both the north and south areas have boat launching and camping areas. The south is fairly open without much shade, while the north has some trees near the boat ramp.
See it: July to November
Be Crocwise: Fishing and boating
- Ensure you observe all safety signs, and be aware that whenever you are near water in the park, there is a risk of crocs!
- Do not enter the water when fishing.
- Never lean over the edge of a boat, out on a tree limb or enter the water to retrieve snagged lures.
- When fishing from the bank fish five metres from the water’s edge.
- Saltwater crocodiles can attack people in boats, the smaller the boat the greater the risk.
- All non-powered vessels are prohibited in Kakadu…