Frequently asked questions
How did we get here?
- In October 2016, the Director of National Parks invited you to comment on what you would like to see in draft management plans for Australian Marine Parks.
- After reviewing your feedback, the Director and her team at Parks Australia prepared draft management plans.
- The Director released the draft management plans on 21 July 2017, asking the public to have their say. Consultation closed on 20 September 2017.
- The Director is now considering your feedback, before providing final plans to the Minister for the Environment and Energy for approval.
- The plans will enter into effect for 10 years from a date specified by the Minister for the Environment and Energy, after they have been tabled in both houses of Parliament.
The Director of National Parks is responsible, under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act), for preparing marine park management plans.
The Australian Government has committed funding of $56 million over four years to effectively manage Australian Marine Parks.
This funding will establish a world-class management program for our marine parks.
Stay in touch
Subscribe to receive important updates about your marine parks. Enter your email address and click "join now".